A trip that takes you to explore the wilds of Tierra del Fuego province, known in Argentina as the world’s end. You’ll first go kayaking to secluded coves in search of the local wildlife, visiting coastal refuges and Estancias. You’ll then head off-road in 4×4 land rovers driving inland to explore the hidden lakes of the region, before setting off along the beaches and cliffs for some the best trekking in Tierra del Fuego.
Min / Max group size
2 / 10
When to travel
November to March
Number of days
6 days / 5 nights
Transfer to your hotel near the coastal city of Ushuaia.
Night at Las Cumbres del Martial
The trips starts with a picturesque drive through a thousand year old forest and along the coast to Brown bay. Here you’ll be introduced to your guides and equipment before paddling out into the Beagle channel.
Kayaking in Tierra del Fuego has been done for thousands of years; it is one of the best ways to see the diverse wildlife of the breathtakingly beautiful Patagonian coastline and, at times, it feels like you have travelled back through the years. The Yamana people, the indigenous of Tierra del Fuego, used fragile tree bark canoes and kept a fire lit in the middle of them which the children tended while the women dived for mussels and the men hunted for seals.
After roughly two hours you’ll disembark on the untamed, uninhabited Gable island. After a hearty lunch you’ll leave your kit at the refuge and set off for a walk to explore the island. You’ll have supper huddled around the stove at the refuge and then drift off to sleep, tired from your first day of kayaking in Tierra del Fuego, listening to the Patagonian winds outside.
Night in Gable Island refuge or camping (depending on the weather)
The next day you’ll be woken by the dawn chorus. After breakfast you’ll push your kayaks back out to sea and paddle on to the Guarani pass, where sea lions will often pop their heads up to say hello and thousands of birds fly over including, if you’re lucky, the mythical albatross. The final stop is at the historical Harberton ranch, a place seemingly trapped in time, and after lunch there’ll be time to vist the ranch’s main house and museum before heading back to Ushuaia in the evening.
Night at Las Cumbres del Martial
After a morning to relax you’ll set off again driving over the Garibaldí pass on the southern most end of the Andes mountains that start all the way in Venezuela. You’ll then start a 4×4 off road adventure to explore the lakes of the region before ending up in a lodge besides Lake Fagnano
Night at Lake Fagnano Refuge
Climbing back into the 4x4s you’ll drive for an hour to get to Estancia Ines. Here you’ll spend the day trekking in Tierra del Fuego. Where you’ll pass through the woodlands of the short Ñires trees along the cliffs olooking out across the Atlantic ocean.
Transfer back to Ushuaia
Night at Cumbres del Martial
End of trip
- Price includes – Return transfer from Ushuaia. All accommodation (standard double rooms) and activities mentioned in the itinerary – as well as all necessary equipment (EXCEPT: sleeping bags and other personal camping equipment – please enquire for single accommodation. All tax. Most bank charges.
- Price does not include – International flights to Argentina. Transport to Tierra del Fuego. Personal medical insurance (compulsory). Depending on method of payment some bank charges. Any visa fees and extras such as tips, laundry etc.
Prices are quoted in US dollars. However, we do receive payments in UK pounds, a sterling rate will be given at the time of booking.
- Experience: the trip can be adjusted to your level
- Sleeping bags and other personal camping are not included.
- Minimum age: 6
- All meals and drinks included, along with canoeing gear (wellington boots, overpants, life jackets), navigations, transportations and specialised, English-speaking guides.
- Walks can be extended in accordance with the wishes of the passengers.
This program is an example of one of many programs we organize round Argentina. All our trips are tailor-made and we can adapt all our programs to your specific needs. And, if you would like help organizing transport, accommodation or any other activity in any other part of the country we would be very happy to help.